Friday, October 22, 2010

Weight Loss Adventure: Not Giving Up

So last weekend I freaked out and ate a Reese's peanut butter cup and a fun-size Snickers. In the past, these would be like nothing to me. But ever since I have started focusing on my Atkins Adventure, sugar equals halted weight loss. Not only did I feel guilty right away, but I could not believe that the Snickers actually tasted BAD! Like, something just didn't taste right, it wasn't the good ol' Snickers I was expecting. So even though it wasn't good that I ate the candy, I was happy to find out that my tastes have changed and sugary carb-filled foods that once were like a drug for me are no longer as great as I remember.

I was frustrated that I had halted my weight loss because in Atkins when you have too much of a blood sugar spike, your body goes out of ketosis (fat-burning mode) and you experience bloating and halted weight loss. It's just not worth it to go "off" the wagon anymore! BUT, I am happy to report that today I am down 2 more pounds, putting me at a total of 14 pounds lost! I REALLY hope I can keep this up and lose 8 more pounds before Thanksgiving, which would help me reach my first major goal of losing 22 pounds and then I will be almost halfway to where I want to be!

I know I can do it, it's just a matter of sticking with it. I have learned that weight loss and maintenance is more about consistency and less about exactly what plan or diet you do. If you are consistent with your diet or exercise program, you will lose weight and maintain a healthy weight. If you do the old up and down, back and forth, this diet and that diet, high carb and low carb, etc etc, it's inevitable that your weight will spike up and down. I did this for the longest time. But this time I am sticking with low carb and I am going to follow the other 3 phases exactly so that I can slowly add in more carbs and whole grains while I keep losing weight and then get to the maintenance phase and keep my weight steady after that. Consistency and gradual changes are the key. I am not giving up and I am not going to eat anymore candy bars - losing weight feels so much better than eating a funny-tasting Snickers!

2 comments:

Marissa Oachs said...

Good Job! Keep up the great work! I know you can do it! :)

misszippy said...

Good attitude! Keep it up.