Thursday, September 30, 2010

Can Pets Benefit Our Health?

From the Mars Petcare Press Release -
For decades, Mars Petcare – through its world-renowned WALTHAM® Centre for Pet Nutrition – has led the way in research in Human-Animal Interaction (HAI), the scientific field that studies the bond between humans and companion animals. 

“WALTHAM® has established an incredible body of evidence on the health benefits of pet ownership and The Power of PetsTM program will help us translate that research to people and communities,” said Dr. Karyl Hurley, global director of scientific affairs, The WALTHAM® Centre for Pet Nutrition.  “With obesity levels rising and health levels falling, we want to contribute our knowledge and expertise to help address those very serious issues, and at the same time, call attention to what we can do as humans to ensure the pets in our lives are also healthy and happy.”  
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I know from experience that without my dog Dotty, I'm not sure how I would have ever gotten through the rough times in the past few years. She was ALWAYS there for me, cuddled with me every night, and even licked my tears the many times I cried during those bad times. I will forever be thankful to her for that - for being there when it felt like nobody else was - and for giving me a sense of purpose. Plus, now that I'm starting to run, I take her along with me and she keeps me going and gives me motivation!

Rocky & Dotty

Tell me: Do you think pets can benefit our health? How has your pet (if you have one) influenced your life?

2 comments:

Shawn said...

I'm a new follower - Please check out my blog. For every follower that joins I will be releasing a Unicorn back into the wilds of the New Jersey boardwalk. So please do your part by joining and saving these special creatures. Thanks
Thanks, Mr. Monkey

Rheanna Bristol said...

Great blog for health! I need all the learning I can get! Thanks!

Thanks for linking up with the Just One Change. Join us next Tuesday for another edition!